The mission of the Dementia Care Specialist (DCS) Program is to support people with dementia and their caregivers in order to ensure the highest quality of life possible while living at home. In order to accomplish this mission, the dementia care specialists (DCSs) have three goals:
- Train staff at the ADRC and other county and municipal offices to assist local systems to become dementia-capable.
- Help communities become dementia-friendly where people with dementia can remain active and safe, and caregivers can feel supported by their community.
- Provide education and support to people with memory concerns or dementia and their families to allow them to live at home safely.
If you are concerned about your own or a loved one’s memory, or want to establish baseline information of a person’s cognition, contact the DCS for a free memory screening. A memory screen can identify early memory or cognitive changes and the DCS can assist with suggestions for follow up as appropriate.
For more information on the services provided by the DCS or to request a memory screen, please contact the ADRC of Buffalo and Pepin Counties at (866) 578-2372 or check out our brochure and Dementia Care Resource Guide!
What is a Memory Café?
A Memory Café is a gathering where adults can join to share thoughts and experiences. Memory Cafés are for persons who are concerned about memory loss, as well as for those who are interested in promoting life-long learning and engaging in brain-healthy activities.
- Each Café is unique and offers a program or activity that is stimulating and fun.
- Memory Cafés are found in many communities throughout the United States, Europe, and Japan. Cafés are great places to engage with others in warm and welcoming environments.
- Memory Cafés are free and hosted in locations which are easily accessible. Coffee and refreshments are served.
Memory Cafe flyer
"QUESTIONS WITH KATRINA"
The Dementia Care Specialist’s main goal is to be a presence in the community raising Dementia Care Awareness by providing resources and trainings to those community members living with dementia and their families, and caregivers. We also raise awareness about Brain Health and how to keep your mind sharp and your body healthy as you age. Each consult and questions are completely confidential!
Questions with Katrina flyer
VIRTUAL SUPPORT GROUPS
Interested in Virtual Support Groups? Click here for more details.
The following trainings are free of charge to community members and area businesses. Call today to get something scheduled!
- Dementia Friends
- Dementia 101 (What is Dementia?)
- Dementia 201 (Behavioral Symptoms and Positive Interventions)
- Dementia Friendly Businesses/Community Trainings
Please contact Katrina/Dementia Care Specialist for more information at 715-279-7870 or see our Upcoming Events page (https://www.adrc-bcp.com/upcoming-events) for more information on where to find Katrina!
*Please also see the RESOURCES tab along the top toolbar for more information*